Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Princess troubles

The woes of a twenty eight year old princess.

I have been noticing a trend, something that concerns me greatly. 
Grown women, some of who are mothers claiming that our little princesses are slaves misogyny. That they are unoriginal, uninspired, and are a product of everything wrong with today's society as far as gender roles are concerned. 
It would seem that it isn't only little boys who are being attacked for liking the pink, sparkly princess stuff; now people dislike anything remotely female gender specific and are attacking little girls.
Quite frankly, it is bullshit and a massive pet peeve of mine. 
Why do we as women have to be so much more than our male counter parts. And WHY oh WHY is it 'feminists' blogging about this? I would honestly expect better. I don't see any blogs (though, in all honesty I have stopped reading them) attacking little boys for liking the 'acceptable' toys(please know that when I say acceptable I certainly do not find any toy unacceptable). 


My daughter is an incredibly intelligent, dirt loving, bike riding, knee skinning, curious, spiderman loving.
beautiful ballerina princess.


 She has loved everything 'feminine' since she was around a year old. She was dressed in my nephews clothing most of her infanthood, and yet she still navigated towards pink. Why would she go there? Because it is who she is. Pink is a pleasant colour, so why the hell not. The first princess movie she actually sat down and watched was Sofia the First; her second was Frozen. She is no slave to the princess industry, but she is every bit the little princess. And EVEN if she did love the Disney princesses as many young girls do, so what?  I grew up loving Princess Belle, I was convinced that she couldn't possibly be hand drawn; but instead it was a trick of the lighting because she was so beautiful. I am not a disillusioned woman. While I was every bit the bright and colourful princess my daughter is, I loved history, science, music, and reading. I am educated and a mother, and I expect my daughter will follow suit. 

Girls, and women have the ability to be multi faceted. We can wear many hats, and instead of limiting our daughters by mocking the princess culture, we should embrace them, and encourage them to be exactly who they are. Regardless of what you think a woman should be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment